All Katahdin Cedar Log Homes are custom built allowing the incorporation of ADA-Compliant Home Designs with relative ease.
“Universal Design” according to AARP with an aging population is often easily done with new construction. Accessibility being a key factor in accommodating your needs is usually missing in traditional home and log home designs.
Based on our experience, some of the items most requested in handicap accessible log home designs include:
- Larger garage bays with overhead doors to fit larger vans
- Ground level entry
- Low/no thresholds at entry or passage doorways
- Minimum of 36 inch doorways
- Open floorplans – easier maneuverability
- If multiple stories, designs for elevators or other vertical lift mechanisms
- Hard/smooth flooring
Some amenities to consider when making long-term living plans would include:
- Use of lever over door knob and closet handles
- Sinks and counter heights
- Roll in shower options, with seating
- Use of handrails in bathrooms, showers and any vertical elevation areas (ramps etc)
- Paddle switches vs. toggle type for lights
When designing handicap accessible log homes for wheelchair bound individuals, additional considerations must be taken into account, such as:
- Wider open space for turning radius in kitchens and baths
- Wider hallways and reduced hallway “corners” (reduction in turning radius)
- Utility accessibility, such as electrical main power panel height (lower) and water main shut off (higher)
- Heights of outlets and switches
- Space around commode (min 30″) for easier transfer
Building a custom cedar log home that is both ADA (American with Disabilities) compliant and UD (Universal Design) compliant will make life easier well into your golden years. More planning and consideration in the beginning is well worth the investment in time and dollars. Designing with cedar logs, a wiser decision still.
Contact a Certified Katahdin Cedar Log Home dealer today or simply use the convenient contact form to explore the many options including floor plans (with matching cedar log garage) to design your own, easy care home of a lifetime.