Stains and Topcoats Protect Your Investment
Stains and topcoats protect your home from damage by the sun's ultraviolet (UV) rays. The sun and weather can break down the cellular fibers that make up the wood in your log home. To protect your cedar log home, apply stain and two top coats to filter the UV rays and keep off the elements. While there are many good products available to today's log home owner, Katahdin Cedar Log Homes has had great success with the water-based products of Perma-Chink Systems for stains, topcoats and maintenance products, which are available at a discount through your Katahdin Dealer.
- Apply stain early for best results - The best time to apply stain and topcoats is during construction, once the roof is completed and the trim boards are up. Your builder will have the equipment and personnel to accomplish a professional application of exterior stain at that time.
- Always apply stain first - Never apply a clear topcoat on bare wood. A semi-transparent stain allows the natural grain and knots of the wood to show through while protecting the wood.
- Always use a topcoats over stain - The stain protects the bare cedar log from ultraviolet light damage, topcoats protects the stain. With regular inspections, you'll only need to maintain the topcoat.
- Darker stains provide more protection - Like a high number on sunscreen, darker pigments protect the wood. The one exception to this is the "butternut" color, which has a high level of white pigment. Many homeowners choose this lighter stain for a more "natural" wood look.
- Stain application is a two-step process - For the most professional results, stain is applied with a spray attachment along the complete length of a log. Back brushing is recommended when spraying. For the do-it-yourself homeowner, dipping and brushing along the length of the log is also an effective application, with great results.
- Maintenance is easy - Once or twice a year, depending on your location, you'll need to inspect your home, much like you'd inspect your furnace or clean your chimney. Detailed instructions for annual maintenance are included in your Builder's Manual. Katahdin makes it even easier to keep a schedule with our Automated Maintenance Reminders. When you order Perma Chink products from Katahdin Cedar Log Homes, we'll send you a yearly reminder about your maintenance.
- Perma-Chink Manufacturer's Warranty - If your stain is applied properly and includes two topcoats, Perma-Chink Systems provides a 5-year warranty for its stains and topcoats. To learn more about the warranty or to purchase products, please contact your Katahdin Dealer or .